The GANP is here to help you discover, explore, and learn more about the national parks in United States and why we need to protect them.
How many national parks are there in the United States?
There are 62 national parks that are part of the National Park Service. Two of these national parks are outside the borders of the 50 states. These two national parks include:
- American Samoa National Park
- Virgin Islands National Park
Which state has the most national parks?
What is the largest national park in the United States?
Wrangell-St. Elias National Park in Alaska is the largest national park in the United States. It covers an area of 20,587 square miles (53,321 sq km). Alaska is home to 7 of the top 10 largest national parks in the United States. The top 10 largest national parks include:
- Wrangel-St. Elias National Park (Alaska) - 20,587 square miles (53,321 sq km)
- Gates of the Arctic National Park (Alaska) - 13,238 square miles (34,287 sq km)
- Denali National Park (Alaska) - 7,407.67 square miles (19,185.79 sq m)
- Katmai National Park (Alaska) - 6,395 square miles (16, 564 sq km)
- Lake Clark National Park (Alaska) - 6,296 square miles (16,308 sq km)
- Death Valley National Park (California, Nevada) - 5,270 square miles (13,650 sq km)
- Glacier Bay National Park (Alaska) - 5,037 square miles (13,044 sq km)
- Yellowstone National Park (Wyoming, Montana, Idaho) - 3,468 square miles (8,983 sq km)
- Kobuk Valley National Park (Alaska) - 2,735 square miles (7,084.9 sq km)
- Everglades National Park (Florida) - 2,357 square miles (6,107 sq km)
What is the smallest national park in the United States?
Gateway Arch National Park is the smallest national park in the United States. It only has an area of .14 square miles (.36 sq km).
What is the most visited national park in the United States?
According to the National Park Service, the Great Smokey Mountains National Park (GSMNP) is the most visited with approximately 12.5 million annual visitors. This is a mostly true statement. The GSMNP lies between cities and near other popular tourist attractions. The GSMNP features a major thoroughfare that serves as a transportation route increasing the number of visitors to or through the park. It can easily be argued that the numbers are inflated to the actual popularity, particularly if you are identifying a national park as a destination.
The Great Smokey Mountains are the most visited national park, and visitors who explore the area will not be disappointed by the natural beauty and splendid escape into nature. The GSMP should not be penalized for its easily accessible location, and it receives the recognition as the most visited national park within the United States.
The Grand Canyon National Park is possibly the most renowned and popular destination in the United States for a national park. There are almost six million visitors to the Grand Canyon annually. The majority of these visitors actually select the Grand Canyon as a destination versus visiting passing through a convenient location.
Which state has the greatest percentage of protected federal land?
Utah with its 5 national parks and other federally protected areas protects almost 85% of the land within the state.