Nuuksio National Park is located in southern Finland just west of Helsinki making it easily accessible by locals and visitors to the country’s capital. The national park encompasses an area of 17.37 square miles (44.98 sq km).
Although it is less than 20 miles (30 km) away from the city, Nuuksio is the second closest national park to Helsinki with Sipoonkorpi National Park earning the title as the closest national park to the capitol.
Within the park, visitors will experience a commune with nature that is easily accessible for the common traveler. The park features forested and wetland ecosystems and paths that explore through these and alongside Haukkalampi pond and Lake Siikajarvi.
The park covers a portion of the larger Nuuksio lake highlands which is a wilderness area that is home to a number of endangered or threatened wildlife species. The Siberian flying squirrel, European nightjar, and the woodlark are some of the more common species.Back to Top
The fact that Nuuksio is so close to the capital of Finland makes it easily accessible for those just passing through Helsinki, making a cruise stop, or staying for a visit. Within minutes, travelers can be experiencing the picturesque landscape found within the country.
Lakes, forests, gorges, wetlands, and rugged crags blanket the landscape providing an extraordinary setting for bird-watching.
Lake Siikajarvi is located on the southern border of the national park. It is a small lake measuring about .57 square miles (0.92 sq km), but it is one of the most picturesque. Hotel Nuuksio is situated with views of the lark. Hiking to and around the lake is one of the popular activities.Back to Top
Getting out and exploring Nuuksio is the thing to do. There are eight hikoingtrails that explore Nuuksio National Park ranging from short 0.9-mile (1.5 km) to longer 10.5 miles (17 km) treks. Additionally, there is access to over 18 miles (30 km) of biking trails, and another 13.7 miles (22 km) of horseback trails.
This is a short 10-minute hike to an overlook that provides hikers with a chance to look out over the park.
This is a 2.6-mile (4.18 km) loop trail that provides views of the lake as well as chances to see wildlife around the shores of the lake.
This is a 3.4-mile (5.47 km) trail out to views of one of the many lakes in the park. There is also a chance to see wildlife in the skies and around the water's edge. The trail is out and back and rated easy. It takes between 1.5 to 2 hours to complete.
This trail has an easy rating and is considered a nice trail for families. It meanders through the forest and along a lake with views of the landscape. It covers a distance of 2.4 miles (3.8 km) and is accessible to all skill levels.
This 4.6-mile (7.4 km) loop trail is rated as a moderate trail. It takes hikers through the woods and along a lake offering chances to see wildlife throughout the landscape.
- All Trails, Best Trails in Nuuksio National Park, https://www.alltrails.com/parks/finland/helsinki-uusimaa-region/nuuksio-national-park, retrieved June 2020.
- Finland Naturally, Nuuksio National Park, https://finlandnaturally.com/nuuksionationalpark/, retrieved October 2019.
- National Parks FI, Nuuksio National Park, https://www.nationalparks.fi/nuuksionp, retrieved October 2019.
- The Crowded Planet, Nuuksio National Park – A Two day Adventure, https://www.thecrowdedplanet.com/nuuksio-national-park-two-days/, retrieved October 2019.
- Visit Espoo, Nuuksio National Park, https://www.visitespoo.fi/en/best-in-espoo/nuuksio-national-park/, retrieved October 2019.
- Visit Finland, Nuuksio National Park, https://www.visitfinland.com/mystay/product/nuuksio-national-park/4950/, retrieved October 2019.