Cabrits National Park is located on the eastern side of the northern tip of the island of Dominica. It sits on a small peninsula jetting off the coastline. The small national park encompasses an area of only 2.05 square miles (5.30 sq km).
The park was created to protect a variety of facets of nature along with an old English garrison known as Fort Shirley. The facets of nature include coral reefs, tropical forests, and wetlands.
Cabrits developed from a volcano which is now extinct, but it grew and connected Cabrits to the larger island of Dominica forming the small peninsula.
Fort Shirley was constructed in 1765 as a military outpost to defend and protect the island of Dominica. Although originally constructed by the British, the garrison was expanded between 1778 to 1784 during the occupation of the French.
It featured over 50 buildings and provided quarters for more than 600 men. It was finally abandoned in 1854.
The majority of people who visit Cabrits national park do so out of interest in the Fort Shirley ruins and history that it represents.
Trails of Cabrits National Park
There are a number of trails that meander through the park providing views of the ocean, coastline, wetlands and tropical forests. The trails are easy and short and provide access to the nature found within the national park.
Douglas Bay Battery: This is a 2-mile (3.22 km) round trip trail with no change in elevation. It is an easy hike and an excellent trail through the tropical forest and views of Douglas Bay.
Waitukubuli Trail: This is a 115-mile trail that begins in Scott’s Head village and meanders across the island with the endpoint occurring at Cabrits National Park. It travels through much of the jungle on the island.
- Fort Shirley
- AFAR, Cabrits National Park, https://www.afar.com/places/cabrits-national-park, retrieved November 2019.
- Discover Dominica, Cabrits National Park, https://discoverdominica.com/en/places/161/cabrits-national-park, retrieved November 2019.
- Lonely Planet, Cabrits National Park, https://www.lonelyplanet.com/dominica/portsmouth/attractions/cabrits-national-park/a/poi-sig/1394982/358043, retrieved November 2019.
- The Outbound, Hike to Douglas Bay Battery in Cabrits National Park, https://www.theoutbound.com/dominica/hiking/hike-to-douglas-bay-battery-in-cabrits-national-park, retrieved November 2019.
- UNESCO, Fort Shirley, https://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/6020/, retrieved November 2019.