Zhangye National Geopark is located in the northern part of China about midway along the border with Mongolia. It rests in the foothills of the Qilian Mountains. The national park encompasses an area of 124 square miles (322 sq km).
The national park, originally named Zhangye Danxia Geopark, is renowned for the stunning display of colors across hills and rock formations. The Chinese media designated the region as one of the most amazing landscapes across China.
Linze Danxia Scenic Area is the most popular and most developed area of the park. Binggou is a second area located on the Liyuan River. Although it is visited less, it offers additional views of amazing landscapes. A third area is known as Sunan Danxia Scenic Area.
The rock formations and rolling hills almost look as if they were painted. The landscapes are surreal. It would be fair to say that Zhangye National Geopark is the most colorful national park in the world.
The colorful landscapes were created by sandstone and minerals being layered atop each other over the years with the tectonic plates shifting creating angled painted layers across the rock formation and sandstone rolling hills.
Rain, wind, and time have further sculpted the rock formations and rolling hills into various displays of pillars and ravines. The erosion and tectonic plates have worked together to create amazing patterns to be viewed by all.Back to Top
The multi-colored rock formations and naturally painted foothills that blanket the area are the most picturesque landscapes. It is hard not to gaze upon the landscapes and wonder if someone actually added colored sand.Back to Top
Zhangye National Geopark Trails
The park features a series of boardwalks that allow visitors to meander around the colorful sandstone landscapes. The boardwalks are level and make it accessible to wheelchair and other physically challenged travelers to still experience the splendor.Back to Top
- China Discovery, Zhangye Danxia Landform Geographical Park Rainbow Mountain in China, https://www.chinadiscovery.com/gansu/zhangye/danxia-landform-geographical-park.html, retrieved December 2019.
- China Highlights, Zhangye Danxia National Geological Park – Rainbow Mountains, https://www.chinahighlights.com/zhangye/attraction/danxia-landform-geological-park.htm,, retrieved December 2019.
- Forbes, The Rainbow Mountains of China Earth’s Paint Palette, https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace/2016/03/02/rainbow-mountains-china-earths-paint-palette/#23071f0e3e5e, retrieved December 2019.
- Lonely Planet, Zhangye Danxia National Geopark, https://www.lonelyplanet.com/china/zhangye/attractions/zhangye-danxia-national-geopark/a/poi-sig/1535881/355967, retrieved December 2019.
- Travel China Guide, Zhangye Danxia National Park, https://www.travelchinaguide.com/attraction/gansu/zhangye/danxia-landform-geopark.htm, retrieved December 2019.