Zhangjiajie National Park is located in the central-eastern area of China in the Wulingyuan Scenic Area which features multiple protected areas. The national park encompasses an area of 18.59 square miles (48.15 sq km).
The larger Wulingyuan Scenic Area covers 153.5 square miles (397.5 sq km). The collective Wulingyuan area is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Zhangjiajie National Forest Park is probably the most coveted part of the area.
The park is comprised of dense forests, deep ravines, deep canyons, unusual peaks, caves, and pillar-like rock formations blanketed throughout the park. These pillar rock formations are what the park is renowned for around the world.
The pillar rock formations are not typical limestone eroded pillars. The pillar rock formations are comprised of quartz-sandstone and formed from physical erosion caused by the abundant rains.
The landscapes created by the mountains, pillar rock formations, dense forests, and clouds are the epitome of Chinese landscapes that inspire so many different types of artwork.
The Bailong Elevator and Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon Glass Bridge are two record-holding features that help visitors experience the splendor of the national park.
The landscapes created by the mountains and pillar-like rock formations are the highlight of the national park. The Bailong Elevator, affectionately known as “hundred dragons sky lift,” is the world’s tallest outdoor lift. It carries around 50 people at a time up 1,070 feet (326 m). It makes the journey less than 2 minutes.
The Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon Glass Bridge stretching across 1,410 feet (430 m) at a height of 980 feet (300 m) is the longest and highest pedestrian glass bridge in the world.
Zhangjiajie National Forest Park Trails:
An astounding forest and mountain landscape with striking views almost every step of the way. Come explore the captivating terrain of Zhangjiajie.
Zhangjiajie Scenic Area Trail
This is a difficult trail that travels 8.8 miles (14.16 km) with an elevation change of 3,812 feet (1,161 m). This trail requires good physical conditioning; however, it is worth the endeavor with bountiful views of the stunning landscapes and rock formations.
This is a 3.7-mile (6.0 km) trail that ascends up steep steps with an elevation change of 2,313 feet (705 m). It is a difficult trail with views of the landscape and wildflowers.
Yellow Stone Village Trail
This 5.1-mile (8.2 km) one-way trek is considered a moderate effort. Some may rate it higher because it features an elevation change of 2,929 feet (892.7 m).
Golden Whip Trail
This 3.9-mile (6.27 km) trail takes hikers to Avatar Mountain. Rated as a moderate level trail, this is a great way for visitors to experience the landscapes, wildflowers, and the stunning Avatar Mountain.
Zhangjiajie National Forest Park Highlights
- Pillar-like rock formations
- Stunning landscapes
- Bailong Elevator
- Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon Glass Bridge
- China Culture Tour, Wulinguyan, https://www.chinaculturetour.com/zhangjiajie/wulingyuan.htm, retrieved December 2019.
- China Highlights, Wulingyuan Scenic Area, https://www.chinahighlights.com/zhangjiajie/attraction/wulingyuan-scenic-spot.htm, retrieved December 2019.
- China Highlights, Zhangjiajie National Forest Park, https://www.chinahighlights.com/zhangjiajie/attraction/zhangjiajie-national-forest-park.htm, retrieved December 2019.
- Pilot Guides, Wulingyuan National Park, https://www.pilotguides.com/articles/wulingyuan-national-park/, retrieved December 2019.
- Travel China, Wulingyuan Scenic and Historic Interest Area, https://www.travelchinaguide.com/attraction/hunan/zhangjiajie/wulingyuan.htm, retrieved December 2019.
- UNESCO, Wulingyuan Scenic and Historic Interest Area, https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/640/, retrieved December 2019.