Jiuzhaigou National Park is located in southwestern China in the north part of the Sichuan Province. The park covers an area of 280 square miles (720 sq km). It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a World Biosphere Reserve.
The elevation varies from 6,600 to 14,800 feet (2,000 to 4,500 m). The Jiuzhaigou valley falls within the Min Mountains and serves as the heart of the national park. The national park is renowned for its beautifully colored lakes, the numerous layered waterfalls, and peaks that are frequently snow-capped.
Long Lake is the lake at the highest elevation. It is also the deepest lake while displaying some of the most magnificent blue and green colors while having mountains serve as backdrops around it. It is incredibly picturesque. There are several other scenic lakes such or bodies of water such as the Five Colors Pond.
Narrow conic karst combined with the waterfalls reveals incredible landscapes within the Jiuzhaigou valley area. This beautiful area is home to around 140 species of birds.
There are several beautiful colored lakes highlighted with spectacular blues and greens. Five Flower Lake features a crisscrossed design offallen trees. The lakes become even more aesthetically pleasing in the fall when the leaves turn orange, red, and yellow creating beautiful reflections in the water.
The Jiuzhaigou Waterfall is beautiful and is part of the reason for the park's name. There are other waterfalls, however, Jiuzhaigou is probably the pinnacle falls.
Although the population is only around 20, a pinnacle highlight is seeing the endangered giant panda in the wild. The snub-nosed monkey is also limited in population and adds to the fun when a sighting occurs.
Jiuzhaigou National Park Trails
Jiuzhaigou is a stunning collection of mountains, lakes, and waterfalls, and hiking amongst them is one of the best ways to discover and explore what the national park is all about. There are a variety of trails that you may leverage for your outdoor escape into the area.
Pearl Shoals Waterfall Trail
This is a fairly easy endeavor across 1.6 miles (2.57 km) while ascending 524 feet (159.71 m) out to view Pearl Shoals Waterfall. This is one of the most beautiful waterfalls making the trail incredibly popular.
Long Lake Trail
This is a challenging trail that travels past a waterfall and lakes that include Five Colored Pond and Long Lake. Both of these are astounding picturesque lakes with incredible shades of blue and green in the crystal clear waters. The trail ascends 3,658 feet (1,114.96 m) over 9.6 miles (15.45 km). Although challenging, the hike is worth the effort because of the exquisite landscapes that will be experienced.
Jiuzhaigou Full Scenic Trail
This is a comprehensive endeavor that travels over a distance of 56.5 miles (90.93 km). This is a multi-day hike that features an elevation gain of 11,981 feet (3,651.80 m). Hikers will meander through the forest, over the mountains, and along with stunning views. There is a lake, a waterfall, wildlife, and wildflowers that may all be experienced while taking in this adventure.
- Jiuzhaigou Waterfall
- Giant Panda
- Reed Lake
- Mirror Lake
- Five Flower Lake
- All Trails, Jiuzhaigou Full Scenic Hike, https://www.alltrails.com/trail/china/sichuan/jiuzhaigou-full-scenic-hike?u=i, retrieved July 2020.
- China Highlights, Jiuzhaigou National Park, https://www.chinahighlights.com/jiuzhaigou/ retrieved August 2019.
- The China Guide, Jiuzhaigou National Park, https://www.thechinaguide.com/sight/jiuzhaigou-national-park, retrieved August 2019.
- Travel China Guide, Jiuzhaigou National Park, https://www.travelchinaguide.com/attraction/sichuan/jiuzhaigou/page1.htm, retrieved August 2019.
- UNESCO, Jiuzhaigou Scenic and Historic Interest Area, http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/637, retrieved August 2019.
- World Atlas, Jiuzhaigou National Park, https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/jiuzhaigou-national-park-unique-places-around-the-world.html, retrieved August 2019.