Port Campbell National Park is located in the south of Australia along the coastline of Victoria as a neighbor to Great Otway National Park. The national park boundaries encompass an area of 6.8 square miles (17.5 sq km).
The Great Ocean Road is an Australian National Heritage and stretches along the Victoria coastline for 151 miles (243 km). Port Campbell National Park is found along this scenic roadway.
The park is renowned for the arches, blowholes, gorges, and rock stacks. The Twelve Apostles is the most iconic attraction of the park and the area displays a series of sea stacks standing out in the ocean along the coastline.
The London Arch and Loch Ard Gorge are two other photographic landmarks. Many people enjoy Gibson Steps and The Grotto, but those are less popular. Altogether, they create a series of unique rugged picturesque coastline.
The majority of wildlife are the seaside species of birds. Penguins are one of the favorites.
Port Campbell Highlights:
Port Campbell National Park is one of the most scenic sections of the Great Ocean Road. The Twelve Apostles are the leading highlight and easy to see from the various lookouts along the road.
The scenic road is one of those things you want to do at least twice. Once with the sunlit blue sky and once as the sun is setting. It is one of the most popularly visited national parks in Australia.
The Twelve Apostles is a series of limestone rock formations sitting along the coastline. These are part of the Great Ocean Road in southern Victoria. There are actually not twelve of these limestone stacks and there never was.
There used to be eight limestone stacks, however, one of them has fallen because of erosion. The stacks were created by a coastline that was eroded by the elements. The stacks reach a height of 160 feet (50 m).
Trails in Port Campbell National Park
The coastline and scenic drive along the Great Ocean Road are the primary attraction of the park. There are a few trails that people can use to escape the car and engage the outdoors and ocean breezes.
Button Bird Island Lookout Trail: This is an easy rated trail that covers a distance of 1.5 miles (2.41 km). The trail has minimal elevation gain. It provides hikers with a chance to see wildlife along with ocean birds as well as views of the rocky coastline. The trail is family-friendly and includes access to the beach.
Loch Ard Gorge - Razorback Trail: This is another easy rated trail that provides two different scenic points. There is little elevation gain over the 1.1-mile (1.77 km) trail that is point-to-point. Hikers will views of the rugged coastline and coves from Loch Ard Gorge Lookout and from the Razorback peninsula.
Thunder Cave Walk Trail: This is a shorter easy rated trail that covers a distance of only 0.7 miles (1.12 km). Hikers will get to look over an ocean created cave while also seeing the rugged coastline. This is a family-friendly trail
Port Campbell Highlights
- Twelve Apostles
- London Arch
- Loch Ard Gorge
- All Trails, Best Trails in Port Campbell National Park, https://www.alltrails.com/australia/victoria/port-campbell--2, retrieved June 2020.
- Australian Government, Great Ocean Road, https://www.environment.gov.au/heritage/places/national/great-ocean-road, retrieved September 2019.
- Britannica, Twelve Apostles, https://www.britannica.com/topic/Twelve-Apostles-rock-formation-Victoria, retrieved September 2019.
- Lonely Planet, Twelve Apostles, https://www.lonelyplanet.com/australia/attractions/twelve-apostles/a/poi-sig/1225589/362249, retrieved September 2019.
- Visit Great Ocean Road, Port Campbell National Park, https://www.visitgreatoceanroad.org.au/big-nature/port-campbell-national-park/, retrieved September 2019.
- Visit Melbourne, Port Campbell National Park, https://www.visitmelbourne.com/regions/great-ocean-road/things-to-do/nature-and-wildlife/national-parks-and-reserves/port-campbell-national-park, retrieved September 2019.
- Visit Melbourne, 12 Apostles, https://www.visitmelbourne.com/regions/great-ocean-road/things-to-do/nature-and-wildlife/beaches-and-coastlines/12-apostles, retrieved June 2020.
- Wikipedia, Twelve Apostles, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twelve_Apostles_(Victoria), retrieved June 2020.