Mount Remarkable National Park is located north of Adelaide in the state of South Australia. The national park area covers an area of 70.5 square miles (182.7 sq km).
The park is comprised of three different regions. Locally called a block, is the heart of the park just outside the town of Melrose. This accounts for the majority of the park and includes the Warren Bonython Link, Mambray Creek, and Mount Remarkable. This area accounts for all but about 6 square miles (15.5 sq km).
Mount Remarkable is the highest summit in the national park reaching a height of 3,150 feet (960 m). The name is also derived from this peak. Flinders Range, where Mount Remarkable is located, also gives way to Ikara-Flinders Ranges National Park. The range is incredibly scenic and both locals and people from abroad travel to explore this exquisite part of Australia.
The Telowie block is the smallest and only takes up about 0.14 square miles (0.35 sq km). The third region is called Napperby block and makes up the remaining 6.46 square miles )16.72 sq km). It is just outside the town of Napperby.
The park features a variety of wildlife species with emu, echidna, kookaburras, and goannas being some of the Australian highlights. There are 117 species of birds that call the park home.
Mount Remarkable is the highlight, however, the majority of visitors like to get out and hike around and explore the nature the park has to offer.
As the namesake of the park, Mount Remarkable is the pinnacle attraction and the tallest peak in the park reaching a summit of 3,150 feet (960 m). The mountain is part of the Flinders Range which traverses the region 160 miles (250 km).
Hiking up the mountain is one of the most rewarding challenges. It takes most of the day to ascend and complete, but it provides panoramic views of the wilderness surrounding the mountain.
Mount Remarkable National Park Trails:
There are several trails that are short and easy to help you get out into nature. Alligator Gorge Car Park is one the simple trail less than half of a kilometer with stunning views into Alligator Gorge. It only takes about 15 minutes.
This is an excellent 2-hour hike traveling 3.3 km through Alligator Gorge providing hikers with a close-up and personal experience with the gorge.
This 3 km walk takes about 1-hour to experience this wilderness trail that travels along Mambray Creek.
Mount Remarkable Summit Loop
This is an uphill trek that is a little more adventurous compared to some of the shorter trails. It takes about 5 hours and travels a distance of 13.8 km. The highlight is reaching the summit of Mount Remarkable, the pinnacle attraction of the park.
Mount Cavern Trek
This loop trail covers a distance of 11.3 km and takes about 6 hours. The terrain experiences a variety of elevation changes and delivers an array of lookouts over the national park.
Hidden Gorge Hike
This is an exciting exploration of Mambray Creek and the discovery of the hidden gorge. The trek is an 18 km loop that takes about 7 hours to complete.
Mount Remarkable Highlights
- Mount Remarkable
- Good Living, 10 Things to See and Do at Mount Remarkable National Park, https://www.environment.sa.gov.au/goodliving/posts/2017/06/mount-remarkable-10-things, retrieved October 2019.
- National Parks and Wildlife Service South Australia, Mount Remarkable National Park, https://www.parks.sa.gov.au/find-a-park/Browse_by_region/flinders-ranges-outback/mount-remarkable-national-park, retrieved October 2019.
- South Australia, Mount Remarkable National Park, https://southaustralia.com/products/flinders-ranges/attraction/mount-remarkable-national-park, retrieved October 2019.
- Trails SA, Ali Lookout Walk – Alligator Gorge – Mount Remarkable National Park, http://www.southaustraliantrails.com/trails/ali-lookout-walk/, October 2019.
- Walking SA, Hikes in Mount Remarkable National Park, https://www.walkingsa.org.au/walk/find-a-place-to-walk/park/mount-remarkable-national-park/, retrieved October 2019.
- Wikipedia, Mount Remarkable, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Remarkable, retrieved June 2020.