Mount Longonot National Park is located in the southwestern region of Kenya. The national park encompasses an area of 59 square miles (154 sq km).
The national park is only 37.2 miles (60 km) northwest of Nairobi making it easily accessible from the city. It is southeast from Lake Naivasha.
Mount Longonot is a stratovolcano mountain reaching a summit of 9,108 feet (2,776 m). The name of the mountain and park is derived from a Maasai word which translates to “steep ridges,” or “mountains of many spurs.”
A caldera that measures 5 miles by 7.5 miles (8 x 12 km) is located near the top of the mountain. The actual cone of the volcano is topped with another crater that measures 1.12 miles (1.8 km) across.
The crater floor is blanketed with small trees and steam vents can be found along some of the walls of the crater as well.
Although not known for wildlife, it is present. Visitors can hope to see at lower elevations buffalo, giraffe, hartebeest, Thomson’s gazelle, and zebra.
Mount Longonot is the pinnacle attraction of the park. The primary draw and highlight of the park is the trek to the summit that extends around the crater rim. It is a great chance to get out and explore nature.
Mount Longonot National Park Trails
Mount Longonot is another Kenya national park that does allow hiking. Wildlife is present and should be respected.
Mount Longonot Summit
There is a 1.9-mile (3.1 km) trek up the mountain to the crater rim. Hikers can continue trekking around the crater rim along the 4.5-mile (7.2 km) loop. Hikers should a lot for around 5 hours of time to complete the journey.
The trail is rugged and steep so visitors electing to attempt the summit should be in good physical health.
Mount Longonot National Park protects the area surrounding one of Kenya's pristine mountains and wilderness locations. Although the region is not renowned for wildlife, the ecosystem does provide a home to a variety of species.
Mount Longonot Highlights
- Mount Longonot and crater rim
- All Trails, Mount Longonot, https://www.alltrails.com/trail/kenya/rift-valley/mount-longonot, retrieved December 2019.
- Go Visit Kenya, Mount Longonot National Park, https://www.govisitkenya.com/mount-longonot-national-park.html, retrieved December 2019.
- Kenya Wildlife Service, Mount Longonot National Park, http://www.kws.go.ke/content/mount-longonot-national-park, retrieved December 2019.
- Lonely Planet, Longonot National Park, https://www.lonelyplanet.com/kenya/longonot-national-park, retrieved December 2019.
- Siyabona Africa, Mount Longonot National Park, http://www.kenyasafari.com/mount-longonot-national-park.html, retrieved December 2019.